Sunday, March 25, 2012

Spring Has Sprung!

Here in Northeastern Pennsylvania, we've been blessed with the most beautiful March I can ever remember.  It's been nonstop 60-70 (and up!) degree days since the beginning of the month.  Lots of sun and a couple of nice relaxing rain showers.  My birthday was this past week on the 21st, and considering that last year at this time we were in the midst of a major snowstorm, I was really given the best gift of amazing weather!

With this beautiful, if unseasonable, weather...my spring bulbs have been growing like weeds and are now blooming as if it is May!  This past fall was my first time ever planting bulbs, and with the help of my faithful hubby, we planted just about 100 bulbs!  A mix of Crocus (they've already bloomed and are gone), Grape Hyacinths, Daffodils, Hyacinths, Tulips, and Aliums (not up yet but sure to be spectacular).  I did a lot of research (nerd alert!) and ordered some great mixes from mail-order nursery catalogs (thank you Burpee & White Flower Farm) so I'm not even sure precisely which specific species I have, just that they are absolutely amazing and I am now even more obsessed with spring flowering bulbs (look out fall 2012)!

These photos don't even do the garden justice...


Purple Hyacinth (Hyacinthus) 

I believe this is a "Narcissus 'Sound'"



A group of "Narcissus 'Janis Babson'" Daffodils (i think) and a Pink "Tulipa 'Darwin Hybrid'"

 "Narcissus 'Camelot' Daffodils




"Narcissus 'Bright Sun'" Daffodil

"Narcissus 'Flyer'" Fancy Daffodil - INCREDIBLE!
"Narcissus 'Sir Winston Churchill'" Double Daffodil - FRAGRANT!















Close Up Purple Hyacinth - SMELLS AMAZING!

Group of "Hyacinthus" in Purple & Lavender




More Hyacinths - My all-time favorite Spring bulbs because of their incredible scent and gorgeous color!
Daffodil, Hyacinths, and a group of "Muscari" Grape Hyacinths in the back.

Tulip, 2 species of Daffodils, & Grape Hyacinths next to a Boxwood.

Fancy Daffodils, Hyacinths, & Grape Hyacinths.
The Right Side Garden - this photo doesn't do it justice.  Ralph built the raised bed!

If only this blog had Scent-O-Vision!!  Smells like Easter and Spring!

The Left Side Flower Bed - note who's watching from his favorite spot in the window!
I love this color combination!

A lone petite red tulip!

No comments:

Post a Comment