Friday, January 20, 2012

Presenting...The Red-Bellied Woodpecker (at last!)

One of the best parts of this winter has been putting out the suet feeders for my feathered friends.  I have 2 suet feeders...1 I received as a gift from my parents, and the other I received as a gift from myself.  The suet has been attracting a lot more nuthatches (which are my favorite birds) and also, very excitingly, 2 different kinds of woodpeckers!  One of which is a woodpecker I had never seen before this point...the Red-Bellied Woodpecker (insert "Oooos" and "Ahhhs") click here to read about him.  He usually stops by for a breakfast of suet cake around 8am every morning.  And every morning for about a month now I have been trying to get a photo of him.  Apparently he is particularly camera shy.  I have felt like the bird-nerd paparazzi, sneaking around the windows and popping out to try and get my shot.  He'll be feeding for a good 5 minutes, and the minute I get my camera up to the window...away he flies!  So, FINALLY...I was able to get 2 photos of him this past weekend!  Ahh...success at last!
My elusive subject!
Woodpecker = 50, Kristen = 2
He's a "Red-Bellied Woodpecker" even though he
has a red head and a white belly!  What is up with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment